Skip to main content

Ask a Podiatrist: Is Arch Pain Common?

Ask a Podiatrist: Is Arch Pain Common?

Arch pain is a common condition that can affect your feet. People who live active lifestyles, like athletes and fitness enthusiasts, are more likely to develop the condition than less active people. The arches of your feet play an essential role in any motion performed while standing. They help to:

Arch pain might only be felt in the heel or ball of a foot, or it might radiate to a person’s back, legs, hips, knees, and ankles. The pain is typically more intense when standing or walking.

How a podiatrist addresses arch pain

Arch pain can result from various things, like damaged tendons, ligaments, muscles, or bones. Structural issues like flat feet can also cause it. Such problems are often aggravated by other factors, like aging, physical stress, and weight gain. Other issues that can lead to arch pain include:

Foot pain that occasionally occurs does not require medical attention. It can often be managed with home remedies like resting the foot, massaging it, or soaking it in warm water.

People with arch pain that worsens with time or does not improve with home remedies should consult a podiatrist immediately because untreated arch pain can progress into a more serious condition and damage other parts of the body, like the back and knees. Treatments that a podiatrist might recommend for foot pain include the following.

1. Rest

Taking a break from activities that put stress on a foot can help alleviate foot pain. Resting sometimes leads to the problem causing the pain to disappear on its own. Ice packs can also be applied to the foot to manage any pain and discomfort.

2. Stretching

Certain types of foot pain, like those caused by muscle strains, can be addressed with stretching exercises. A podiatrist can educate patients about appropriate stretches and show them how to perform them. These exercises can be performed once a day or whenever a patient feels pain.

3. Supportive shoes

Podiatrists can provide patients with supportive shoes with insertions that help take pressure off a foot’s arch. These shoes can help restore a person’s mobility and promote healing. They can help restore blood circulation to the foot and reduce inflammation.

4. Medication

A podiatrist can prescribe anti-inflammatory medication to help deal with the pain caused by arch pain. Cortisone injections can also be used to deal with any inflammation. Patients with mild foot pain might be able to manage it with over-the-counter medication.

5. Surgery

As a last resort, surgical treatments can be performed to fix the issue causing foot pain. For example, a plantar fasciotomy can be performed to address foot pain caused by plantar fasciitis.

Do not be limited by foot pain

Call or visit our Pocatello clinic to set up an appointment with our dentist to learn more about your options.

Request an appointment here: or call Ambulatory Foot & Ankle Clinic at (208) 803-0010 for an appointment in our Pocatello office.

Check out what others are saying about our services on Yelp: Arch Pain in Pocatello, ID.

You Might Also Enjoy...

Ask a Foot Doctor About Plantar Fasciitis

Ask a Foot Doctor About Plantar Fasciitis

A podiatrist, also known as a doctor of podiatric medicine, is a foot doctor. This kind of surgeon or physician can treat the ankle, foot and connecting parts of the leg. A podiatrist can help you if you have a foot condition like plantar fasciitis.
Could a Podiatrist Recommend Orthotics For You?

Could a Podiatrist Recommend Orthotics For You?

Learning more about orthotics when living with a certain type of foot disorder is a great idea. When you are experiencing problems with your feet, it can really make it difficult for you to perform your everyday tasks.
Should I See a Podiatrist or Orthopedist?

Should I See a Podiatrist or Orthopedist?

Like many people, you may be considering either podiatry or orthopedics to care for your ailing feet. Both disciplines have their place and can offer help for a variety of conditions.
What Services Does a Foot Doctor Offer?

What Services Does a Foot Doctor Offer?

A foot doctor, or podiatrist, can help you with problems that affect your lower legs or feet. Podiatrists are qualified to care for your feet because of their education and training.