How a Foot Doctor Can Help with a Fractured Foot

How a Foot Doctor Can Help with a Fractured Foot

fractured foot can be so painful that doing anything with your legs becomes almost impossible. Continue reading to see how a foot doctor deals with a fractured foot. If you suspect you have a foot fracture, the best thing to do is to see a foot doctor. The doctor will examine your foot and request an x-ray to establish the location and nature of the fracture.

Fractures commonly occur in the ankle joint, metatarsal bones (found in the middle of the foot), sesamoid bones (at the end of the big toe), and toes. The severity of a foot fracture determines the treatment.

Treating a fractured foot

Every fracture requires thorough evaluation and treatment. This is important so that the individual receives appropriate treatment for a faster recovery. After determining the nature of the fracture, the doctor can determine the appropriate treatment for the patient.

Fractures that are not displaced

If the foot is immobilized, non-displaced fractures can heal without extra effort. This is true for both metatarsal and big toe fractures. However, patients must be cautious until they see a doctor for a diagnosis in a suspected case of non-displaced fracture. Rest and removing pressure off the injured foot are essential for healing.

Ice application can help reduce inflammation. Applying ice to the injuries for 20 minutes at a time many times a day is suggested. Wrap a compression bandage on the injury after icing to relieve pressure and keep the foot fixed. Keep the leg raised, as well.

If the doctor has confirmed the fracture, they will offer specific advice on healing and recovery. During the healing process, patients may need to wear stiff shoes. Toe fractures can also heal without surgery if a splint is used to tape the toe to another toe for added support and stability. Patients will need to wear adequate footwear to protect the toe during healing. The muscles may become tight during rehabilitation, hence the need for physical therapy to restore strength and flexibility.

Displaced fractures

Displaced fractures, or fractures in which the fractured bones are separated, require reduction surgery to align and fix the shattered bones. A fractured bone must be appropriately positioned for healing to begin. The doctor will restructure the bone fragments to facilitate healing.

Internal fixing surgery (with plates and screws) may be necessary to keep the bones in place if broken into multiple pieces or if the fracture includes a joint. In addition, the doctor can conduct a bone transplant and repair soft tissues if the fracture is severe (due to a traumatic occurrence). Following surgery, patients will almost certainly need to wear a cast.

Non-union fractures

There is a chance that fractures in the foot will not heal in time. This situation is called non-union fractures. Patients who do not get proper fracture treatment or adequate stabilization, or have suffered an infection, are at a greater risk of non-union. A bone transplant may be used to encourage fracture healing.

Do you have a fractured foot?

If you have a fractured foot or ankle, make an appointment with a foot doctor for a thorough examination. They will work with you to create a personalized treatment plan to get you back on your feet as soon as possible.

Get more information about Ambulatory Foot & Ankle Clinic in Thayne at

Check out what others are saying about our services on Yelp: Read our Yelp reviews.

You Might Also Enjoy...

Ask a Foot Doctor About Plantar Fasciitis

A podiatrist, also known as a doctor of podiatric medicine, is a foot doctor. This kind of surgeon or physician can treat the ankle, foot and connecting parts of the leg. A podiatrist can help you if you have a foot condition like plantar fasciitis.

Could a Podiatrist Recommend Orthotics For You?

Learning more about orthotics when living with a certain type of foot disorder is a great idea. When you are experiencing problems with your feet, it can really make it difficult for you to perform your everyday tasks.

Should I See a Podiatrist or Orthopedist?

Like many people, you may be considering either podiatry or orthopedics to care for your ailing feet. Both disciplines have their place and can offer help for a variety of conditions.

What Services Does a Foot Doctor Offer?

A foot doctor, or podiatrist, can help you with problems that affect your lower legs or feet. Podiatrists are qualified to care for your feet because of their education and training.