How a Podiatrist Can Help Your Foot Issue

How a Podiatrist Can Help Your Foot Issue

You may not usually visit a podiatrist, but if your feet hurt, you will want to make an appointment with this doctor. At a podiatry office, the doctor can address a wide range of issues. The doctor has the knowledge and training to diagnose your condition and treat it effectively. This treatment will differ from patient to patient, depending on the type and severity of the dysfunction.

Common podiatry issues

podiatrist spends at least two additional years beyond medical school learning how to treat foot abnormalities. This doctor is equipped to help patients with a wide range of foot concerns. One of the most common complaints patients have are growths such as warts, corns or bunions. People often turn to podiatrists to treat foot injuries such as breaks and sprains. Also, the doctor can diagnose and treat problems with foot tendons and ligaments. This doctor frequently sees patients who have ingrown toenails or cracked heels.


In some cases, a prescription drug is all the patient will need to conquer their foot issues. Topical ointments and creams can relieve soreness and dryness of the heel and skin. While the podiatrist may use a laser to remove a wart or other growth, medication could be an effective alternative. When there are problems in the nerves, such as with neuroma, the doctor may give an injection to reduce the inflammation.


The podiatrist commonly uses shoe inserts to offset the pain in various parts of the foot. This is a frequent solution to heel pain. They offer cushioning around the heel and toes. Other inserts can correct the way in which the patient stands or walks. Some shoe inserts can relieve the pain caused by arthritis or plantar fasciitis. Patients with flat feet often seek this treatment instead of getting surgery.


If a person breaks or sprains a bone, the podiatrist will confirm the condition by taking X-rays. To promote healing and to protect the bone, the doctor may cast the foot. Some situations require the doctor to hold the injured bone in place with a pin or screw. The severity of the injury will determine how long these treatments last. Often, serious foot injuries will require post-treatment rehabilitation.


When exploring different treatments, the podiatrist may try to avoid surgery whenever possible. However, an operation may be the most effective approach. Surgery can repair severe breaks or injuries to the tendons or ligaments. Significant problems with bunions, hammertoe or bone spurs may also require surgery over other methods.

The podiatrist has the answers

It is difficult to live with foot issues. Many foot conditions can hinder your mobility and cause intense pain. You should not have to suffer from these problems any longer. For even the most troubling foot issues, the podiatrist can help you recover. With either medication, shoe inserts or surgery, you can find relief, while casting will address damage to the bones. Make an appointment with a foot doctor near you so you can enjoy good health again.

Get more information about Ambulatory Foot & Ankle Clinic in Pocatello at

Check out what others are saying about our services on Yelp: Read our Yelp reviews.

You Might Also Enjoy...

Ask a Foot Doctor About Plantar Fasciitis

A podiatrist, also known as a doctor of podiatric medicine, is a foot doctor. This kind of surgeon or physician can treat the ankle, foot and connecting parts of the leg. A podiatrist can help you if you have a foot condition like plantar fasciitis.

Could a Podiatrist Recommend Orthotics For You?

Learning more about orthotics when living with a certain type of foot disorder is a great idea. When you are experiencing problems with your feet, it can really make it difficult for you to perform your everyday tasks.

Should I See a Podiatrist or Orthopedist?

Like many people, you may be considering either podiatry or orthopedics to care for your ailing feet. Both disciplines have their place and can offer help for a variety of conditions.

What Services Does a Foot Doctor Offer?

A foot doctor, or podiatrist, can help you with problems that affect your lower legs or feet. Podiatrists are qualified to care for your feet because of their education and training.