Visit a Foot Doctor to Treat Skin Problems With Your Feet

Visit a Foot Doctor to Treat Skin Problems With Your Feet

If you are having pain or itching on the skin of your feet and know that it is not normal, a foot doctor can help. People are often told that foot problems are “just a part of life,” but the truth is that there is always a cause. Determining what is causing your pain and itching can be challenging without the help of a professional. There are many types of foot problems, some of which are very similar to one another. A podiatrist can help you determine the exact cause of your foot skin issues, but in the meantime, continue reading to learn about a few possibilities.

Corns, calluses and plantar warts

Corns and calluses are common and quite similar. They are caused by friction where the foot skin persistently becomes irritated between the bone and shoes. Calluses and corns develop to protect the foot from further damage. Calluses tend to be thick and flat, while corns are usually smaller, raised and rounded areas of hardened skin. Corns usually have a core that is extra irritating and may put pressure on nearby nerves. Calluses can usually just be sloughed off with a pumice stone unless they are severe, but corns almost always require the help of a foot doctor for removal to avoid harming nearby healthy skin.

Plantar warts are entirely different from corns and calluses. They may look similar to corns when they develop, but they are actually a result of HPV (human papillomavirus) invading the soles of the feet through breaks in the skin. Walking barefoot increases the risk of plantar warts, and these warts spread easily. Plantar warts usually appear small, rough and grainy. They may have a callus covering them, which makes it hard to identify them without the help of a foot doctor. Small lesions are also common with plantar warts. They usually cause a bit of pain when pressure is placed on them. Fortunately, they can easily be removed with the help of a professional.

Athlete’s foot vs. dry skin

Both athlete’s foot and dry skin can cause itchy, flaky feet, which is why it is so hard to determine the difference. Typically, dry skin is slightly flaky and may cause some slight itchy or cracking in the heels. In some cases, dry skin may cause redness, but this usually only occurs if there is also a bacterial infection that has entered through cracked skin. Athlete’s foot is characterized by very thick, flaky skin, rather than tiny, thin pieces. It almost always itches, and redness and inflammation are typically also present. The skin may be blistered or even present raw, open sores. Cracks and fissures are possible. In most cases, athlete’s foot is much more severe. Foot doctors are well-acquainted with fungal issues and can pinpoint the difference between athlete’s foot and dry skin easily, providing treatment as well.

We treat all conditions related to the feet

If you are having skin issues on your feet and you are suffering from itchiness, inflammation and pain, do not wait to receive treatment. Schedule an appointment today so a foot doctor can help rid you of these issues.

Call (208) 803-0010 today to reach Ambulatory Foot & Ankle Clinic.

You Might Also Enjoy...

Ask a Foot Doctor About Plantar Fasciitis

A podiatrist, also known as a doctor of podiatric medicine, is a foot doctor. This kind of surgeon or physician can treat the ankle, foot and connecting parts of the leg. A podiatrist can help you if you have a foot condition like plantar fasciitis.

Could a Podiatrist Recommend Orthotics For You?

Learning more about orthotics when living with a certain type of foot disorder is a great idea. When you are experiencing problems with your feet, it can really make it difficult for you to perform your everyday tasks.

Should I See a Podiatrist or Orthopedist?

Like many people, you may be considering either podiatry or orthopedics to care for your ailing feet. Both disciplines have their place and can offer help for a variety of conditions.

What Services Does a Foot Doctor Offer?

A foot doctor, or podiatrist, can help you with problems that affect your lower legs or feet. Podiatrists are qualified to care for your feet because of their education and training.