Skip to main content

When Are Corns or Calluses a Concern?

When Are Corns or Calluses a Concern?

A podiatrist can treat your corns and/or calluses when they are causing you problems. Many people think that there is no difference between corns and calluses. However, these two common foot issues are indeed quite different. What these two issues do have in common is that both create hard and sometimes painful areas on the feet. Whether you are someone who has a corn or callus for the first time or have been dealing with these common foot issues for a while now, seeing a podiatrist will help you. During your appointment, you will understand what is causing them, as well as what you can do to prevent them from recurring.

About corns

What exactly are corns? A corn is small, in the form of a circle, made of dead skin and tends to form on smooth and hairless areas of the feet. This makes the side of the toes and the bony areas of the feet a common place for corns to start growing. The center of a corn is obvious and can be hard or soft. Softer corns are somewhat whitish in color and are not as hard as calluses, as the texture tends to be a little more flexible.

About calluses

What exactly are calluses? A callus is a part of the foot’s skin that becomes very tough and thick, which is caused by some type of friction, pressure and/or irritation. Calluses tend to look a little lighter in skin color or can take on a yellowish hue. A callus feels semi-hard or even lumpy due to the thickness of the skin. More often than not, a callus is bigger than a corn and does not have the defined edges that a corn does.

When are corns or calluses a concern?

Corns and/or calluses are a concern when someone is experiencing a lot of pain, if someone is diagnosed with a circulatory disorder like diabetes and if someone has a condition known as fragile skin. According to the American Podiatric Medical Association, if corns or calluses are causing pain and discomfort or inhibiting a patient’s daily life in any way, they should see a podiatrist.

One of the more common treatments a podiatrist will perform on patients who are suffering from corns and/or calluses is to first carefully remove some of the hard skin. After the hard skin has been removed, the next step often includes using a certain number of salicylic acid patches, which gradually wears away the rest of the affected skin. Patients may need to use a pumice stone to remove dead skin before placing a new patch on the area.

Need corn and/or callus treatment?

An experienced podiatrist can treat your corns and calluses. Understand that you do not have to live with corns and/or calluses on your feet and instead you can have them treated. Since these common foot issues can potentially cause you a good deal of discomfort and/or pain, seeking treatment as soon as possible is recommended.

Request an appointment here: or call Ambulatory Foot & Ankle Clinic at (208) 803-0010 for an appointment in our Pocatello office.

Check out what others are saying about our services on Yelp: Read our Yelp reviews.

You Might Also Enjoy...

Understanding Neuropathy: A Podiatrists Insight

Neuropathy refers to damage or dysfunction of the peripheral nerves, often resulting in numbness, tingling, and pain. It is a common condition, and its impact on the feet makes it a significant concern for podiatrists.
Ask a Foot Doctor About Plantar Fasciitis

Ask a Foot Doctor About Plantar Fasciitis

A podiatrist, also known as a doctor of podiatric medicine, is a foot doctor. This kind of surgeon or physician can treat the ankle, foot and connecting parts of the leg. A podiatrist can help you if you have a foot condition like plantar fasciitis.
Could a Podiatrist Recommend Orthotics For You?

Could a Podiatrist Recommend Orthotics For You?

Learning more about orthotics when living with a certain type of foot disorder is a great idea. When you are experiencing problems with your feet, it can really make it difficult for you to perform your everyday tasks.
Should I See a Podiatrist or Orthopedist?

Should I See a Podiatrist or Orthopedist?

Like many people, you may be considering either podiatry or orthopedics to care for your ailing feet. Both disciplines have their place and can offer help for a variety of conditions.